Saturday, January 7, 2012

The One and Only Goal of 2012

It's the first weekend of 2012 and I haven't committed my goals to paper the Internet.  My intent of this blog is to create a record of my training.  In 2012 I am planning on training for something larger than I have ever done - the IRONMAN.  What do people say when I say I'm  training for the IRONMAN?

Mom: You're crazy
SIL: You're nuts
Brother: Ha
Dad:  Doesn't say much, just smiles and shakes his head
Nephew: wow cool
Dr. Will: Good for you

I'm going to try to remember and record what people say because I find it quite amusing.

I digress ... back to the 2012 which of course is going to be all thing IRON all the time right?  Of course that is intermingled with raising 2 kids and a husband.  IMFL is 10 months out.  It's the 7th day of 2012 and I haven't run a bit.  We think we've got this left hip pain figured out.  My visit to Dr. Will (Chiro) was very encouraging - first when he said "Good for you" I knew we would get along fine.  And instead of telling me NOT to run long distances, he said "let's get you back on the road".  I think I will be seeing a lot of this guy over the next 10 months!

What's the big diagnosis?  It's my TFL - that's Tensor Fasciae Latae - seriously why does it have to have such a fancy name?  In case you don't already know what your TFL is - apparently it is the small muscle that attaches to your hip and the IT (Iliotibial) Band as it goes along the outside of your thigh and attaches at your knee.  He showed a bit of concern that I have been completely resting it for 3 weeks and it is still bothering me as much as it is.  So we are now specifically stretching the TFL, icing it 6 times a day (really where am I going to find time for that?!?), advil twice daily.  He's fine with me spinning and lifting as long as I have no pain.  I can get back to running at 50% as soon as I feel no pain and build back up from there. Yeah - that sounds promising right?

So my one and only goal for 2012 is to finish the Florida Ironman.  I don't want to put a time on it. Hubby says 13 hours which I find laughable.  I'm thinking more like 15 hours.  But really I don't care if it takes me 16 hours and 59 minutes.  If I can run across that finish line with a smile on my face and hear those words ... I'll take it!

Of course to get there I will have many little feats along the way like  run a marathon and finish a half distance.  Wassaga Beach Oly is something i REALLY want to do again too.  But I don't want to label these as goals because if they in anyway get in my way of finishing the Ironman then I won't do them.

First up is the A1A Ft. Lauderdale Marathon. That's 6 weeks out.  Considering I haven't run in exactly 3 weeks today, this is looking more and more like it's going to be another half.  And I'm OK with that because it is not my goal for 2012.  I don't have to run an official marathon before IMFL!

Next up -  Buy a trainer. Convince Hubby to buy me a new bike. And most of all get my TFL healthy! So I'm off to ice!



No comments:

Post a Comment