Sunday, July 8, 2012

17 weeks until Ironman Florida



I just returned from my annual summer Florida vacation.  It's about as hot as it gets down on the Treasure Coast but we made sure to enjoy it.  I participated in the inaugural Aaron Vaughan Memorial Frogman Swim and I ran 12k, 13.5k, 15k and 5k.  Though my nutrition, sleep and hydration took a vacation, I also enjoyed  my second recovery week post 70.3.  I had a 3 week recovery break between my 70.3 race in Welland and the start of my "official" Ironman training. This week I wanted to focus on running and really enjoyed getting up at the crack of dawn to get my miles in before the heat and humidity really gets the best of you.  I've developed a niggle in my right upper calf but I'm very pleased with my running in the Florida conditions.

My "official" Ironman Florida training plan starts next week on July 16.  That's the start of my 16 week plan. While I focused on the run this past week, this week I am going to focus on my bike and get at least 1 open water swim in at Cherry Beach.  I will also get back to the gym this week with strength training at least twice.  I look at my upcoming training and the swims are frightening me.  I want to get into the endless pool at Absolute Endurance and get some help with my stroke.  I'm not a great swimmer and could use all the help I can get.

It's starting to get serious - with only 17 weeks to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment